🗓️ Here’s what’s up right now:
- 🎧 Listening to: Just discovered Butcher Brown. Their album #KingButch covers funk, jazz, soul, and hip hop with a really cool vibe. I’ve also had this on repeat in my head almost daily for the past month:
- 📖 Reading: Read through Quillifer in a couple of evenings and thoroughly enjoyed some pointless comedy. The Fifth Science made me think, though the writing is a littler weak (unlike The Fifth Season, which is both thought-provoking and really well written… guess that’s why it won a Hugo).
- 🥋 Taido: We’ve had a couple more students join the dojo, but things are still very ad hoc, and it’s hard to make many plans. We’re just taking things a bit at a time and doing the best we can.
- 💭 Thinking about: Not very sexy, but I’ve been putting a ton of thought into branding and messaging for the company. We’ve been around for ten years now, so things have shifted over time, and it’s been a fun challenge to try and distill things down and cut out the parts that don’t match where we want to take things next. More importantly, it’s given me a lot of time to reflect on how the company represents my own values and personality, as well as some of my weaknesses (which always make me grateful I have partners).
- 🙇♀️ Studying: I’ve got a solid month of weekly Japanese classes behind me now, and I feel like I’ve unlocked a couple of grammatical techniques I’d been missing, which feels great. Also adding new vocab regularly, and it gives me a good reason to use the flash cards app on my phone when I remember to do so.
🧰 Things I’m finding useful:
- 🖥 Finally bought a sit/stand desk converter to try and limit my time sitting down. Going to set it up in a couple of days and see how I like it. Pretty sure I have the most furniture per square foot of any office you’ve ever seen; I’d take a picture but there;s not even enough space for that.
- 📽 I’ve been trying to do a lot more video for training and giving feedback internally at GMB, so I’m experimenting with Loom a bit, though I’m still more comfortable with ScreenFlow, since I’ve been using it for so long.
- 🏖️ We took a short trip to Okinawa for “silver week” and spent some time relaxing and playing on the beach. Okinawa reminds me a lot of Hawaii, so always feels a bit like homecoming when I’m there.