As of right now, Andy Fossett lives in Tokyo and spends most of his time working on GMB and teaching Taido. You can find an archive and sign up for updates here.
🗓️ Here’s what’s up right now:
- 🎧 Listening to: The new(ish) album by ゲスの極み乙女 has been in heavy rotation for a few weeks now. Here’s the most recent single:
- 📖 Reading: Forever by Peter Hamill is one I bought just on the premise, and now after a few hundred pages realize is just not my kind of book. I’m a fan of magical realism, but this tries too hard to be at least three different books. I’m gonna finish it, but I’m looking forward to starting Shadow and Bone, as recommended by my friend Anny.
- 🥋 Taido: Now that Tokyo is gradually reopening municipal facilities, and the contagion appears to be largely under control, I’ve been meeting a small group to practice with each week. We’re still not fully reopening the dojo, sticking with our regular online practice schedule for now, but it feels good to get on the tatami and move around some.
- 💭 Thinking about: I’ve been having a lot of good conversations about race and inclusivity and ways to counter the systemic biases in society. I don’t have answers, but I can say I’m further resolved against an authoritarian police state and that I’m very proud to have some very thoughtful and compassionate friends doing good work in the world.
Cycling near Kiryu. Definitely not a thing I’ll make a habit of… explanation below.
👨👩👧👦 People & Family:
- 🐘 A family of six (four small kids) moved in upstairs. Pray for me.
- 🎒 School is back to a regular, daily schedule in our town, which makes life easier and happier for the whole family.
- 🚴♂️ My friend Robert owns a cycling tour company and took a few of us riding around the countryside. I really don’t enjoy biking, but I still had a good time and recommend it to anyone who wants to have a unique experience in Japan.
🧰 Things I’m finding useful:
- 📗 Still enjoying manual life. I’ve been doing far less digital note taking lately, and when I need to share something I’ve written, I just snap a pic with my phone and send it.
Travel hahahaha, right…
- 🤷♂️ At this rate, my main concern is not being able to return to Japan if I leave. I’m confident that I can navigate my personal safety while traveling without exposing others to risk, and I hope to make a visit to the US in the next handful of months.